Colorful and spicy… that’s how I like my salad… and my life
A few days ago I wanted to make a special dinner. Nothing too fancy, just a bit different than usual salad with some nutty dressing. I was having a fun time musing over what to prepare and how to place it on a plate. Besides soaking the nuts and marinating the mushrooms, it doesn’t take too long to prepare, but it is super tasty.
This is what I came up with.
Savory Walnut Balls
- 100 grams of walnuts
- 10 Brazil nuts
- 2 teaspoons of paprika powder
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- 3 teaspoons of salt water sole (or salt to taste)
- green olives (optional)
Soak walnuts and Brazil nuts overnight or 6-8 hours. Drain the water, rinse them and put them in the food processor. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix until you get an uniformed, a little sticky mass that can be rolled into little balls. Make your balls and if you wish, decorate each with half of a green olive.
- 1 head lettuce
- 2 carrots
- 3 tablespoons of fermented oyster mushrooms (optional)
- 4 green parts of scallion
- handful of arugula
Tear or chop lettuce (whichever you prefer), grate carrots and chop the rest of the salad ingredients. Mixed them all together with just a little squeeze of lemon.
- 250 grams of crimini (brown) mushrooms
- juice of half a lemon
- tablespoon of tamari sauce
- teaspoon of garlic powder
- teaspoon of dried oregano
Thinly slice mushrooms and make the marinade from the rest of the ingredients. Let them marinate overnight or around 8 hours in a fridge.
- Marinade from the mushrooms
- 1 and a half tablespoon of sunflower seed butter
- 2 tablespoons of freshly chopped dill
Decorate as you wish, dress the salad with the dressing, add a bit extra of tamari on mushrooms if you like it salty and enjoy!
We served our walnut balls on a sheet of purple nori that we ended rolling into a burrito.
As we finished our decorating and taking pictures, we felt so happy and grateful for this meal. A healthy dish to nourish both body and mind.
Have a yummy day! 🙂